Body Image


Hello everyone. I know I haven’t posted in a hot minute.. A burning hot minute. I am taking online classes, and I am a procrastinator. So I decided to get rid of all distractions and buckle down. I am now at a good spot to take a breather while I wait for my finals to come up. So I figured while I wait I could write a much needed blog post.


Body Image…

I know this isn’t normally something I would write about, but I believe it is necessary. This is an issue I have been struggling with since the 7th grade and I know it affects so many more people. I am currently on a journey to become more positive with myself and it is very hard. I am definitely not there yet either. My body issues first started when I was 13 years old. I went from wearing colorful clothes and things that made me happy to sweats, baggy t-shirts, and neutral colors. I still went out with friends, but I always had to wear clothes that hid my body. When I started high school it got worse. My daily outfit was skinny jeans, an over sized t-shirt (or hoodie in the winter), and sneakers. I would avoid social events because I didn’t want to deal with getting ready. I hated summer and the pool was my worst enemy. My aversion to summer was not because of the heat, but because I loathed wearing shorts, tank tops, and swimming suits. I would skip family trips to the pool and stopped hanging out with my friends. I missed out on making so many memories because I was afraid of people seeing what I looked like. I wanted to figure out why I was like that. Everyone else seemed happy so why was I having these problems. Come to find out I wasn’t the only person who felt like this. I believe my body image issues came from social media and a couple of mean kids that went to my school. I developed the mindset that the only way for me to ever be happy is if I became skinny. However, when I did lose weight, I still had the same issues. The problem isn’t my body. The problem is my mindset. I wasted so many years worrying about how I look when I should have been making amazing memories. I am going to write a few tips down below that have helped me out and continue to help me.


1.Your body is not the problem. Your mindset is.
(I know I wrote this earlier, but when I read this quote for the first time it really opened my eyes.)

2. Surround yourself with positive people.

3. Stop comparing yourself to others. Every single body is built differently. No one is better than you, and you are not better than anybody else. Everyone is beautiful in their own unique way and that is a really special thing.

4. Your self worth has NOTHING to do with your body. You are so much more than a number. There are many things you can be. You can be smart, loyal, loving, caring, giving, and hardworking. You can do so many amazing things and none of them have to do with the size of your body.

5. Look at the people who follow on social media. Who are you looking up to? Are they making you love yourself? Or do they make you want to change the way you look? One thing that has helped me so much is to unfollow all the negative people who made me feel ashamed of body. I follow several body positive accounts and they make me feel way happier than who I followed before.


If you are struggling right now with body image or any issues for that matter and want to talk to someone or have any questions then shoot me a message! I would love to help out in anyway I can. Thank you to everyone who made it to the end. Until next time, XO.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Bucket List

Song Obsession - Everything Is Alright

10 things about me